More Than Money
Issue #27
Sorry, there was an error: Undefined variable $issue

Lifestyles of the Rich and Simple

Table of Contents

“College Fund”

- anonymous authors


WHO is it for?
Any natural children (or stepchildren who entered the family before the year 2000) of a brother or sister of ________________________.

For students born in 1975 or before, benefits are available until the student's 35th birthday. For those born from 1976 through 1980, benefits are available until the student's 30th birthday. For students born after 1980, benefits are available until the student's 25th birthday or until December 31, 2022, whichever comes first.

The Fund expires on December 31, 2022.

WHERE can it be used?
Any accredited public college in the student's state of residence, such as community colleges, state colleges, and state-run universities.

WHAT does it cover?
Tuition and fees for one bachelor's or master's degree per student. An AA degree from a community college is considered part of a bachelor's degree rather than a separate program.

The Fund also covers books and supplies required for courses, and room and board for up to four academic years in college-run housing, provided the student maintains full-time enrollment as defined by the college. Money must be paid directly to the school's finance office or bookstore.

WHAT is NOT covered?
The Fund will not cover living expenses (other than room and board in college-run housing), transportation, parking, computer hardware or software. Also, study abroad programs, distance learning, and extension classes are not covered.

HOW can I receive Fund benefits?
Call or write to the Fund Administrator to let her know what school you will be attending and what quarter or semester you will be starting school. She also needs to know the type of degree program you are planning to pursue (bachelor, master's).

Go to the finance office of your school and fill out their forms to let them know that the College Fund will be paying for your tuition and course fees (and college-run housing if you have chosen this option). You need to give them the Fund Administrator's name and address so that invoices can be sent directly to the Fund Administrator for payment. If you pay the fees yourself, the Fund cannot reimburse you.

You will probably have to fill out forms in the bookstore similar to the ones you filled out in the finance office to open an account and have the invoices sent directly to the Fund Administrator. The bookstore may require money in advance to set up the account. If it does, contact the Fund Administrator with the required amount and she will write a check payable to the bookstore to open the account.

In all cases, you will need to document that all of the books and supplies purchased are required for the courses you are enrolled in. If the bookstore does not supply an itemized statement, you will have to submit receipts and a photocopied list of the books and supplies your instructors require.

Ensure that the school you plan to attend is not operated by a military or religious organization.

Set up accounts to have tuition, bookstore and college-run housing statements sent to the Fund Administrator so that they can be paid directly to the school.

Make sure that the Fund Administrator has your current address and phone number.

Keep track of tuition payment deadlines and other important dates. The Fund does not cover late fees.

At the end of each school year (usually June), send a complete set of transcripts to the Fund Administrator so that your file can be updated and you are eligible for continuing tuition coverage.

Students will become ineligible for benefits from the Fund if they fail to submit yearly transcripts to the Fund Administrator; have two or more grades of Incomplete that are not made up within six months; or drop out part way through a quarter or semester when fees are not reimbursable. Also, violation of Fund guidelines or intent may result in loss of coverage.